Because creativity isn’t easy and problems can be complicated, here are 10 suggestions to help you simplify any project.
10. Write a list on paper to prioritize deliverables and what’s important to communicate. Putting something in your own handwriting makes it more manageable. (Note: this list is typed)
9. Cross out 88% of that list you just made. Cull it down to what’s most important to deliver or communicate.
8. Merge similar ideas together. You know, what I should have done with points 10 and 9.
7. See if you can explain your concept in one sentence. If you can, then you’ll realize this second sentence is unnecessary.
6. Aim for clarity. 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 is the same as 4+4 but it takes way longer to add.
5. Grab a blank sheet of paper. Nothing refocuses the mind like the fear of filling an empty page.
4. If your solution is complicated, start removing pieces. Pull your idea apart like Jenga until it holds up but doesn’t fall apart.
3. Think of the one person who usually understands your ideas. Don’t show anything that person. Show it to their polar opposite. If someone who is unlikely to get “it” gets it, you’re on the right path.
2. Take a break. Let your subconscious do the work for a while.
1. Ask for help. Even Yoda had a teacher.